Wednesday, March 25, 2009

It's almost cake show time




The Great American Cake Show, formerly part of the Mid-Atlantic Cake Show and Wedding Cake Competition, will be held on May 2 and 3 in Westminster, MD.

The past several years, I attended and participated in the Divisional and Wedding cake competitions at the Mid-Atlantic Cake Show. Last year I decided to focus on classes and was able to take classes with three of the nicest people; decorating a whimsical cake with Carrie Biggers, freehand brush embroidery (flower picture) with Toba Garrett and piping icing characters (lil' croc and fat frog picture) with Mike Terry. I had a great time! I was even brave enough to enter into a one hour cake decorating contest! (Gee, what was I thinking, lol? I do like to challenge myself sometimes but in front of a live audience, lol, that is why I say I was brave, lol!) That hour went sooooo fast but it was fun! (There was no judging but the cakes were put on display and individuals at the show placed money into a jar beside the cake they liked and all the money was donated to charity.) This year I hope to make a few cakes and maybe some cookies. My cookies tied for second place in 2007 so I want to try again for first place. If you live nearby stop in and take a look at some fabulous sugar art or take a class! There will also be a live competition too! So if you like watching those competitions on Food Network stop on in and be part of the excitement live and in person! (Click on the show name at the top to get all the details.) Happy Decorating!

No comments: