Sunday, November 29, 2009

Verve's blog party challenge 2

Continuing with the Verve Thankful Hearts blog party, challenge 2 is a sketch challenge.

The card stock I used were Stampin Up's tempting turquoise, old olive, chocolate chip and really rust.

I adhered strips of My Mind's Eye patterned paper onto really rust. I then wrapped Stampin Up's So Saffron ribbon around these strips and tied off with some DMC floss.

I used my paper trimmer and scoring tool to make the criss cross design on the card base to mimic the patterned paper design and to spice it up a bit. It's probably hard to see in the picture but it looks good IRL.

I used my Cuttlebug to die cut the "Thanks" image. This die is in the Cuttlebug's "Olivia" font pack.

Verve's blog party challenge 1

Verve Stamps celebrated their November stamp release on Friday with a Thankful Hearts blog party and challenges.

This is my card for challenge 1, a color challenge. I used images from Verve's Miracles Blossom stamp set. I stamped the flower using Stampin Up's old olive and tempting turquoise ink and I colored in the images with the ink and my blender pen. I used my sewing machine for the stitching and my Fiskars edge punch for the scallop card stock pieces on the center panel. After I completed the card, I realized I forgot to about the thankful theme so I added a shrink film charm. To make the charm, I stamped the "thank you" image using black StazOn ink then cut out the shape using my Marvy scallop square punch. I used my hole punch to cut the whole before shrinking. I then had to use a needle to thread some black thread into the ribbon knot.
Stamps: Verve (flower and sentiment from Miracles blossom), Inkadinkado (Thank you)
patterned paper: My Mind's Eye
card stock: Stampin Up (whisper white, basic black, tempting turquoise, old olive)
Ink: Stampin Up (tempting turquoise, old olive); StazOn (jet black), Brilliance (graphite black)
Other: white shrink film, Marvy Uchida scallop square punch, Fiskars threading water edge punch, thread, sewing machine, blender pen
ribbon: Morex

Thursday, November 26, 2009

I did it! Machine sewing!

It's not my first time to add stitching on a card but this is my first time using a sewing machine to do it! A few projects I've made previously, I sewed by hand. But that takes time especially since I like to poke my holes first then stitch. I used my Kenmore sewing machine that I purchased several years ago after taking a sewing class. I made a bag in that class and boy was I motivated to make more bags but that didn't last, lol!

I'm proud of this card but the the picture turned out horrible so it doesn't do the card any justice. This was a belated birthday card that I had to mail so I didn't get to retake the pictures and I took quite a few! (I know what I did wrong so hopefully that won't happen again!) This card came together quite quickly. I colored the image with markers and cut it out to adhere to the scallop circle, sewed the paper to the card stock, and assembled all the elements.

Materials list:
patterned paper: My Mind's Eye
floral image: Stampin Up-Bloomin Beautiful
card stock: Stampin Up-pink piroutette, rose red; Gina K Designs-chocolate kiss; Papertrey Ink-vintage cream
ink: Marvy LePlume II markers (cherry, bubble gum pink, yellow, mocha, leaf green)
ribbon: Michaels
other: Kenmore sewing machine; Fiskars scallop edge punch, Marvy scallop circle punch

Saturday, November 14, 2009


Since I haven't stamped in a while and to get my mojo started, several days ago I participated in two StampTV challenges.

I made the Christmas card following sketch STVSC37. I often see many cards where patterned papers are mixed so I thought I would attempt it on this card. This is out of my comfort zone but I don't think it turned out too bad. For the focal image, I stamped the sleigh and colored it using an aqua brush and pretty in pink ink from Stampin Up. I then outlined the interior pattern with a red and a pink Marvy LePlume marker as well as adding stickles to give a shine; can't really see in photo but it looks pretty good IRL. I also sponged the edges with some pink and green ink because I thought the white was a bit stark. I used my Cuttlebug to die cut some chipboard using the snowflakes die. I used white ink to color the chipboard and after the snowflakes dried, I added stickles.

Materials: Gina K. Designs stamp set (The Magic of Christmas); My Mind's Eye (patterned paper); Stampin Up (card stock Riding Hood Red, Pretty in Pink and Pretty in Pink ink); Stickles (Xmas red, Stardust)

The second card I made was for the technique challenge, STVPF38. The challenge was to use a sentiment to make a background. The "love" sentiment is from the stamp set Little Tee's. The wedding sentiment is from the stamp set With this Ring. I cut the heart using a Marvy paper punch.